We are about a week and a half into January, so if you made a New Year’s resolution to get healthy, hopefully you are still going strong! In case you need a little motivation boost here are 13 healthy tips to incorporate into your 2013. Getting healthy is all about making small changes, so each one of these tips is a quick easy thing you can do to live a healthier life in the new year.
1. Walk More: It turns out, sitting is really bad for us. It’s essential to get up on your feet everyday and in fact, doctors say we need to get at least 10,000 steps per day to maintain our weight and to promote physical fitness. Find sneaky ways to get more walking in, like moving around while you chat on the phone or taking an evening stroll.
2. Portion Control: We often eat much larger portions than we need to. A portion of meat should be the size of your fist, if you use butter it should be the size of the top of your thumb and half of your plate should always be filled with fruits and veggies.
3. Find A Workout You Like: If the treadmill isn’t for you then don’t worry about it. If you find exercises you enjoy doing you’ll be more apt to keep it up, so whether it’s dancing, a group exercise class or walking the dog, find something you like to do.
4. Pack Your Lunch: You’ll save calories and money…who doesn’t love that!
5. Sweat Every Day: Even if it is only for 10 minutes, break a sweat each day. Play with your kids, jump rope even play the Kinect…just do something to get the blood going.
7. Try A New Workout: Switching up your regular routine will keep both you and your body from getting bored. Hit up yoga, Zumba a barre class or visit the new spinning studio.
8. Workout With A Friend: This tip will help you keep you workout appointments, plus spending time with friends is a great stress reliever.
9. Track Your Progress: There a so many apps and websites out there that help you keep track of weight loss or how many miles you’ve run , etc. I think tracking your progress is a great motivator because you can see how far you’ve come and you can see yourself getting closer to reaching your goals.
10. Eat Breakfast: People who eat breakfast weigh less than those who skip it. So grab a bowl of oatmeal or whole grain toast with peanut butter to get you going in the morning.
11. Try A Food Journal: Oh, food journals are one of my favorite weight loss tools. It turn out that half a cookie I keep eating eventually adds up to two or three cookies and much to my dismay, those calories actually count. Writing down what you eat helps you get a handle on what you’re putting into your body.
12. Lay out your workout clothes at night: Make your life a little easier and put all your workout stuff (clothes, shoes, socks, iPod play list) together at night and you’ll have one less excuse not to hit the gym in the morning.
13. Breathe: Stress is one of the worst things for our health…so in the new year, try to have less of it. Of course, life is bound to throw us crazy things, but if you take time to sit quietly and breathe each day, you’ll find yourself feeling calmer and more centered.